"If you are looking for a series that keeps you on the edge, wondering what will happen next, wondering how an author created a jaw-dropping, heart-stopping book. Then look no further. Genie has created that with this series." --Bunnies Review

Friday, November 16, 2012

FRIDAY FRIENDSHIPS


Small towns are often known for their friendliness, and for helping out neighbors. And sometimes friendships develop between the most unlikely people. Here's an example from the fictional town of Halo, Oregon, where my Legacy Series is set.

** "Don't want to be seen in public with me?" Ruby asked. 

That comment brought Tallie's full attention. "I'm trying to be considerate of your health." 

"I'm healthy enough to be bored. And I'd like to get to know the woman who raised my daughter so well. The real woman--not just your public face."

Tallie stared at Ruby. For almost thirty years, she had built this woman into someone to be feared. Someone who could appear at any time and snatch away her beloved daughter. But Ruby had given birth to Marly, and entrusted Tallie with her care. In spite of Tallie fearing Ruby would take her little girl away, she hadn't. Over all these years, Ruby only came back on Marly's birthdays, then disappeared again. 

"Do you think a couple games of pool in the bar will forever tarnish your reputation?" Ruby asked. 

A sad wistfulness drifted through Tallie. "I met Bernie in a bar." 

"So good things can come from dens of inequity. Leave your halo at home, Tallie, and come with us. I'll bet you a week's worth of washing dishes I can beat you at pool." 

Ruby was dying and Marly was grown. Not likely the woman could tuck Marly under her arm and run away with her. 

A smile gradually stole over Tallie's face as she realized her fear was based on long-ago insecurities. "I'll take that bet." 


**Excerpt from CHALLENGING THE LEGACY, copyright Genene Valleau, writing as Genie Gabriel.

No comments:

Post a Comment