"If you are looking for a series that keeps you on the edge, wondering what will happen next, wondering how an author created a jaw-dropping, heart-stopping book. Then look no further. Genie has created that with this series." --Bunnies Review

Friday, May 11, 2012

AUTHOR NOTES: ENJOYING LIFE'S SIMPLE PLEASURES


I met with two fellow authors tonight, as we try to do each month. We chatted about writing and promotion--of course. But we also caught up on our personal lives and chatted about…"stuff."

We've been friends quite a while, so our conversations can meander. Tonight, one of the topics we touched on was slowing down enough to feel the joy in life's simple things. 

One of the authors who usually meets with us wasn't there because she had already realized this. So she and her husband had "run away from home" for some much needed R&R. 

However, sometimes this slowing down can be forced--such as the broken arm one of the ladies sustained in an accident. She said it could have been so much worse and, for the first time in a long time, she felt the joy of the sun shining on her face as she was driving to work a few days ago.  

For me, the wake-up call came when a second dog began limping this morning. Before the feeling of powerlessness swamped me, I realized I had the "cure" literally in the palms of my hands or at my fingertips--pick whichever cliche you prefer. I am a Reiki practitioner and most of the energy I channel flows through--you guessed it--my hands. 

But when one of our group suggested we plan a weekend retreat, I quickly said I couldn't get away. Hmm…guess I need to work on enjoying those simple pleasures a bit more. For now, it will be a cup of lemon tea before I call it a night or simply sitting with my dogs on a sunshiny morning.

How about you? What simple pleasure have you indulged in lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment