"If you are looking for a series that keeps you on the edge, wondering what will happen next, wondering how an author created a jaw-dropping, heart-stopping book. Then look no further. Genie has created that with this series." --Bunnies Review

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

SMALL TOWN RECOMMENDED VISIT


I'm going to make a departure from Small Town Celebrations this Wednesday to recommend a place I went with my son and grandson last Sunday: the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum near McMinnville, Oregon.

Though I talked about taking my sons for years and years, this was my first visit--with my younger son, who is now in his thirties and my grandson. Ah, yes, the best intentions…

I was fascinated! 


This is the home of the Spruce Goose, built entirely of wood by Howard Hughes. It is the largest airplane ever constructed--with a wingspan of over 300 feet, longer than the first flight of the Wright Brothers. However, this mammoth airplane made only one flight, just over one mile at an altitude of 70 feet for one minute. 

This plane is indeed huge, dwarfing every other plane in the Museum. Here are a couple photos--one taken from the back of the Spruce Goose; the other taken under one massive wing, with several other airplanes sitting underneath. It was never used to transport troops and equipment during World War II, as originally intended.

I also enjoyed the other airplanes, especially the ones painted to look like sharks.

The "space" part of the museum was in another building, with proportionally-sized planets set into the sidewalk in between. I think I could really get into space travel, though the space capsules on display were much smaller than I thought they would be. The handicapped stall in the bathroom was larger than the space an astronaut had to sit! OK, maybe I'll wait for the luxury accommodations to the moon or another planet. 

If you're looking for an interesting and educational way to spent a day, consider this museum. Their Web site is www.EvergreenMuseum.org if you'd like more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment